Sunday, October 14, 2012

How We Worship

From 1986 until 1994 - for eight years, I attended a church where the only teaching was done through the singing of hymns. My favorite hymn has always been Amazing Grace. It's the song I sung to my children to put them to sleep as babies. I sat snuggling my daughter yesterday and starting singing it when she stopped me and said, "You're going to put me to sleep. That's my sleepy song!" 

I never get tired of hearing or singing this song. Here are the original lyrics to this timeless hymn:

Amazing Grace

Amazing grace! (how sweet the sound)
That sav'd a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears reliev'd;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believ'd!

Thro' many dangers, toils, and snares,
I have already come;
'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promis'd good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who call'd me here below,
Will be forever mine.

John Newton, 1779

Note: this verse replaced the last few verses in the 1790 publication:

When we've been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise,
Than when we first begun

Twelve years ago I became a born-again Christian and became familiar with more modern worship songs. The churches I've been to have generally mixed the traditional hymns with popular Christian songs. 

My kids attend a Christian school in addition to the children's church services on the weekends. They've grown up immersed in Christian teaching and worship. At home, we listen to Christian radio and the kids love to sing along and dance to what they call "Jesus songs."

Do you have a favorite hymn? What does worship mean to you and your family?

2 comments:

  1. Suzi, you should read the history behind that song. It was written by a former slave trader who had probably committed every sin against mankind that could be imagined, including chaining human beings in the holds of ships as merchandise for prospective buyers. It becomes ever more beautiful and poignant when you consider the ramifications of such a story. Also worth noting is that this is a song that a LOT of people relate to, and are comforted by. I have been in some very grim places in my life, only to hear its words and notes come wafting in the breeze from somewhere, and have then been reminded that all is not as bad as it seems sometimes, and that help is as close as our willingness to ask for it, and that forgiveness is already given for any lack of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There shall be showers of blessings"

    There shall be showers of blessing:
    This is the promise of love;
    There shall be seasons refreshing,
    Sent from the Savior above.
    Refrain:
    Showers of blessing,
    Showers of blessing we need:
    Mercy-drops round us are falling,
    But for the showers we plead.
    There shall be showers of blessing,
    Precious reviving again;
    Over the hills and the valleys,
    Sound of abundance of rain.
    There shall be showers of blessing;
    Send them upon us, O Lord;
    Grant to us now a refreshing,
    Come, and now honor Thy Word.
    There shall be showers of blessing:
    Oh, that today they might fall,
    Now as to God we’re confessing,
    Now as on Jesus we call!
    There shall be showers of blessing,
    If we but trust and obey;
    There shall be seasons refreshing,
    If we let God have His way.

    i sang this song in church and when i was at my lowest i would sing this song. it gave me strength.

    ReplyDelete

The catchpa has been removed to enable easier commenting. Spam and irrelevant comments will be deleted.