Thursday, April 4, 2013

D: Determination

"How do you do it?" People sometimes ask. How do I work, take care of my children, cook, clean, write this blog, write  books, volunteer in my children’s classrooms (three times a week), participate in church, and still look so happy? Well, I have a confession to make: this week, I am exhausted.


I’ve gone from teaching nine credits per semester to twelve this term (which began this week). I teach twelve hours a week: I know that seems like an easy gig, right? But, what it really means, is that for twelve set hours a week (all while my children are in school), I am required to be in class, delivering instruction and/or lectures. But, there is a lot of work that goes into my lessons, and even more (wo)man hours that go into grading papers (at home while juggling all my other duties and roles). Yep, the life of a writing teacher is not as easy as it appears. For every hour I spend in class, I spend another two or three outside class grading and planning. So, while I spend twelve hours each week at work, I spend another thirty (or more) outside class working. Add to my forty hours of work, volunteering three times per week, a daily writing discipline, and all the supermom duties involved in running a household, and I find myself looking forward to retirement.


How do I do it? I don’t really have a choice about working and raising my family. I need to work and I need to take care of my children. My mom used to say, “The more you do, the more you can do” and I have found that to be true. While my mom was a stay-at-home mom for most of my life, she raised five kids instead of two.


The extra things I do – writing – are not required, but I am determined to make a better life and future for my kids. My goal is to be on the tenure track before my own kids are college aged, so they can get a major break on tuition. In order to meet that goal, I need to continue writing, which is tied to my career advancement. So, although I don’t specifically have to do all the things I do, I do them for a reason and with the help and strength I receive from my Lord and Savior.


I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Phillipians 4:13

5 comments:

  1. You are an amazing woman and capable of so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. It's a great reminder that we can all accomplish more and do more and that it's okay to get tired, but determination to better ourselves and our families keeps us going. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for spreading the good news!
    determination is so important!

    keep up the good works and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always thought time was elastic. It seems like you can always fit more in ... well, until you reach that point where the elastic snaps back and hits you in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Suzanne! I have a daughter who is an English teacher and she spends much more time preparing/grading writing assignments than actual teaching. See you on the A-Z! Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Ronda

    ReplyDelete

The catchpa has been removed to enable easier commenting. Spam and irrelevant comments will be deleted.