Friday, April 12, 2013

K: Knowledge


Have you ever been tempted to believe that “ignorance is bliss”? There are so many examples I can think of where a person may be happier (at least in the immediate future) by not knowing certain facts. I remember my parents telling us things that Walter White had told them about ignorance. One of them was that if a person was good but didn’t have the chance to be baptized by a true preacher (FOC, of course), they would be “burned up quickly” at the end of time, rather than spend eternity in hell. They also told us not to read too much of the bible because it would only confuse us and test our faith. We were particularly warned from reading the book of Revelation. How sad to miss that incredible book of prophecy!

When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul; Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee
Proverbs 2:10-11


I was discouraged from becoming formally educated because that could lead to questioning my religion and even to becoming atheist. I have found that to be far from true for me. The more I “know,” the more I want to know.

* * * * 

What do you think? Is there such a thing as too much knowledge?

5 comments:

  1. I have often thought that I over think things, if that makes sense!
    This is usually followed by a longing for blissful ignorance - people will no hobbies or interests, no ideas, no opinions, no ambitions, etc. After all, they don't know any better!
    The trouble is, once you do have those things, you know the wonderful possibilities that are out there, not available to those that can't imagine them.
    So, I would say, yes, ignorance might be bliss, but given the choice I'd probably pass!
    Cheers,
    Gordon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ignorance is bliss...Hard to argue that because we know no differense. For instance "The wages of sin are death". Being ignorant of that we have no perspective on eternity.So we go thru life with no thought of consequence.

    As for your experience with the FOC, Keeping you ignorant was a tool to actually I feel to brain wash it's members.
    You can take any passage from the Bible and make it mean anything you want when taken out of context.

    Baptism, was John the Baptist a member of the FOC? He baptised Jesus.A little bit of knowledge can be just as dangerous as ignorance.
    I don't feel we can have too much knowledge,but going back to yesterdays subject this is where we pray for discernment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The more I “know,” the more I want to know."

    I couldn't agree more! Truth is never threatened by questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. (Hosea 4:6)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knowledge and Discernment. Romans 12:2

    ReplyDelete

The catchpa has been removed to enable easier commenting. Spam and irrelevant comments will be deleted.