Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Z: Zodiac

And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the Lord thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven.
Deuteronomy 4:19

I paid five dollars to have my palm read in 1993 at the Oregon State Fair. The gypsy-looking woman studied my hand and told me some distressing news: my lifeline was extremely short – barely visible. I would die young. My love line was broken: I wouldn’t find love until later in life. So, I was to die young and find love when I was old. Awesome.

I will admit that for years, I enjoyed reading my daily horoscope and finding ways that it rang true. I kept a horoscope taped to my refrigerator from a few years ago that I particularly liked: “Be patient with the current state of things. You will have more than one career in your lifetime and several big adventures. Whenever you’re in a lull, as you may be now, rest up and take full advantage.” I liked it because, like most horoscopes, it was an encouraging message. But, it didn't apply to every Cancer I knew. It was entertainment – not prophesy. At least, that's how I used to justify it.


Years later, I had another palm reading by a woman who said she was Catholic. This time, my reading indicated that my lifeline was long and steady: I would enjoy good health long into old age.

I know that many Christians believe astrology is heresy. I know other folks who believe in star signs and even use it in place of traditional religion. For me, it was a fun diversion; interesting to see the coincidences and nice to read encouraging messages. After researching what God’s word says on the subject, I no longer consider it harmless entertainment. The old horoscope clipping came down, and if anyone wants to know my sign, well that’s irrelevant.

Harmless or risky: what do you think about astrology, horoscopes, and palm readers?

6 comments:

  1. I think it is quite risky, especially when criminals use the practice to fleece unsuspecting people. I, too, used to consider it harmless entertainment but have been drawing away from that belief as I grow older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't participate in such things anymore, but I used to look at my horoscope just for fun. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne, I am glad to hear someone taking this position. I am a minister, and I feel strongly that what you co-create with God (His will and plan plus your initiative) is more important than any horoscope or "reading". Even advice columns--not as important as God's advice and God's ideas about who you are. In my holistic healing practice, I encourage people to pray and to practice listening for God's advice. Thanks for a wonderful post! Peace and Grace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ephesians 6:12-17
    We cannot shelter ourselves from all things non Biblical.
    But we also should not invite trouble or discontent.Horoscopes
    seem harmless and entertaining for most of us,but it is a form of sorcery.
    The Devil will take a hold where ever he can.Planting a seed
    creating a doubt.The scripture reference above pretty much sums it up.
    Palm readers,psychics etc. are largely charletons. But I also feel some are truly instruments of Satan.
    We live amongst evil, but thank GOD for HIS protection and Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like where you went with this. The bible does say "Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years;" I've always taken that to mean we determine them [signs/seasons], not they determine us. Like many things, one person's harmless fun is another person's idol.

    And that's one of my favorite Sheldon quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the 30 day challenge.
    God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

The catchpa has been removed to enable easier commenting. Spam and irrelevant comments will be deleted.