Saturday, April 27, 2013

X: Xenophobe


Preachers and pastors who make their paying career in ministry are false prophets, we were taught. Those hundreds of thousands of men who have gone through college and graduate school to study the bible and the original languages and contexts of the scriptures, biblical scholars, are fakes. They are not hand-picked men of God.

In college, I made friends with a young woman who was the daughter of a pastor. She was the first person to tell me about the trinity – she even drew a picture to explain it. At that point I was already out of the FOC, but still very much afraid of other belief systems and worldly churches. I told my mom about my new friend and what I was learning. Mom’s response was to sternly rebuke me for casting my pearls among the swine. Because the woman had a father who was a worldly pastor, because she was not “born holy” in the FOC, she was swine.

Xenophobe: a person who fears or hates foreigners, strange customs, etc.
Dictionary.com

How can the FOC receive help if not from a stranger or outsider? I’ve been thinking about this. From my own experience in public speaking, it’s not something that comes easily or naturally. Just imagine, being very sheltered in who and what you were exposed to and then suddenly being called to become a preacher! I have to believe that these men (Walter White and other FOC preachers) really were lead and inspired by God, through the Holy Spirit to preach the word. How else could they have captivated such a loyal following? But, I have also come to accept that the FOC did not alone hold God’s heart. God didn’t send Jesus to die on the cross just for that little town in Oregon. God cares about the souls of the whole world.

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
Hebrews 13:2

Last Sunday, I printed a message from a stranger to the OC FOC. I don’t know what his message is, or what God is calling his friend to do. But, I do believe that if the group is to be helped, it is very likely that the help will come from the outside.


2 comments:

  1. The problem with an outsider helping, is that the outsider may have an agenda and would never be in a position of trust among the Followers. I am deeply sceptical about the vision of the Followers given in the letter. For one, Faith Assembly was began by a man, Hobart Freeman, who was a supported entirely by his congregants and theologically is apart from the FOC in nearly everything except not using Doctors. Even his view on sickness is apart from the Followers, as he appeared to believe similarly as the Christian Scientists do, that you can "think yourself well".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought I posted on this, might not have sent it through.

    That an outsider can help the FOC is not likely. Maybe it depends on how much of an outsider. Those such as Blessed Brother Bob the Freemanite are way too far out of the picture to have much more than a passing similarity in faith healing. Even on that note, there is a theological difference. Outsiders should be viewed sceptically, as they are likely to have ulterior agendas, such as creating an instant 1000+ member congregation/financial base.

    That there needs to be those who take leadership roles, that there needs to be preaching and baptisings, is agreed. I see no reason why that leadership should not come from within, from those whom the body knows. The qualifications for Elders and Deacons in Timothy and Titus only make sense if they are approved from out of the pool of men that have known each other for some time.

    ReplyDelete

The catchpa has been removed to enable easier commenting. Spam and irrelevant comments will be deleted.