Friday, April 26, 2013

W: Wisdom


Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.
For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain therof than fine gold.
She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.
Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.
Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.
She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every on that retaineth her.
Proverbs 3:13-18

When I consider this passage of scripture, I notice that the positive attribute of wisdom is spoken of as feminine. It reminds me of a young man I recently met (around eight or nine years old) who happily told me, “Girls are smarter than boys and boys are stronger than girls.” I was surprised that he didn’t seem bothered by this apparent fact. He was just happy to be stronger than girls. I have taught every grade level from Kindergarten through college, with the exception of second grade and high school seniors, so I do have an opinion about his statement (boys are stronger).

Yesterday, an agnostic friend sent me this picture, with the comment that I should stop reading (my favorite pastime):


So, I decided to apply wisdom to the situation by checking the bible verses listed on the man’s sign. Here they are:

The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
Psalm 5:5

The have mouths, but they speak not: eyes have they, but they see not
Psalm 115:5

Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate: it may be that the Lord God of hosts will be gracious unto the remnant of Joseph.
Amos 5:15

There is no evidence in any of these three verses that “God hates book lernin’.” My conclusion is that this photograph is an anti-Christian hoax. I’d love to hear what you think.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh that fountain of wisdom. These days it is hard to immediately trust what you see as there are powerful tools to manipulate stuff. As far as religion is concerned, I have always believed that respect for individual beliefs is important - after all, there are many doors yes, but only one destination. ~ Luchie C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solomon always had an interesting way of putting things, and if you read through Proverbs he often reffers to wisdom as feminine, one of my favorite writers of the scriptures; so much wisdom to take from his Proverbs and Ecclessiastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apostle Paul must have had a bit of "book larnin' " hisself. Quoting the Athenian Philosopher Epimenides twice. If we learned anything from Jacob and his wives' fleeing from their parents; Stolen gold, is still gold!

    ReplyDelete

The catchpa has been removed to enable easier commenting. Spam and irrelevant comments will be deleted.