Tuesday, April 9, 2013

H: Heaven




In my Father’s house there are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
John 14:2

I have often heard certain legalists intone some version of this sentiment: “If the choice were between heaven and nothing, I would choose to live as I please.” Have you ever thought that? That living a “right” life is just too difficult? That heaven sounds boring in comparison with our mortal life on earth?

I am guilty of thinking that heaven will be a bit boring. But the older I get, the more I look forward to a less intense life. And, I think about what eternity will be like. Will heaven be boring? Well living in a mansion with the saints and angels, with God and Jesus doesn’t actually sound so bad. I don’t live in a mansion now – and I have to worry and work hard to live a very humble life.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Revelation 21:4

In heaven there will be no bickering, complaining, whining; no sadness and no pain. Yes, please! Sign me up. I can’t wait to get to heaven!

* * * * *

Dear Readers: What do you imagine heaven is like? Please leave a comment below...

6 comments:

  1. I believe that heaven will be so wonderful that right now we cannot even conceive what it will be like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heaven. Continuous learning and discovery. No one gets old, everyone is fully mentally present, no pain. Flowers and birds everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEAVEN.... The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
    Scripture tells us there will be a new heaven and a new earth.
    I feel the new earth will be as God intended to be befor the fall. In the new heaven I believe we will work,play,eat.All of course in a sinless environment.Heaven may be on the new earth.Our main activity will be to worship at the feet JESUS.
    I don,t think boredom will exist,because that would only breed discontent.NO pain No sadness No worry No sickness.Can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent totally scripture based book.
    Heaven by Randy Alcorn. May alter your perspective,or not.
    At the very least food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I covered this aspect of the afterlife in my mythological trilogy in a different perspective. Do we have a purpose? If yes, what is that purpose?

    I personally believe earth is heaven, for god once called it paradise. In Genesis, god expels man from the tree of life and sets cherubim with flamings swords to prevent their return. Then in Revelation god brings us back to the tree of life.

    I don't fear death, for one day we will see paradise reborn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like my life currently and so don't often think I'm missing something by not wishing it to end to go elsewhere. I do believe, but I don't understand being anxious to not be here with your life and those you love.

    ReplyDelete

The catchpa has been removed to enable easier commenting. Spam and irrelevant comments will be deleted.