Monday, April 15, 2013

M: Meaning


This afternoon, I'm sitting at my desk pondering the two certainties of life: death and taxes. If I live out my natural life, I'm about half done (though, in light of this morning's events in Boston, I don't take a natural death for granted). And with every passing year (and decade), I have to face the fact that there are no do-overs. We only age in one direction, and that's up. Where has the time gone? And, what was the meaning of it? Where's this narrative going?

Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Matthew 6:31-33

I think about the meaning and purpose of my life often. Am I doing what I’m meant to do? I believed, as a child, that the purpose of this life was a trial to determine our eternal destiny: if we were good, we’d go to heaven; if not…bad news.

I still think like that in some ways, though I try not to be so legalistic, I’m not sure there’s a way to overcome those old records. But, the way I think about the purpose, or meaning, of life is evolving. I believe I have a purpose that goes beyond proving myself to be “good” enough. I have been given certain abilities for a reason.

The parable of the talents (Matthew 25:14-30) is a story I heard from the pulpit as a child and one I have often returned to in my search for meaning. I know that the talents in the parable refer to money, not skills/abilities, but I like to think that since this is a parable, the current meaning of “talent” can very well apply.

I believe the purpose/meaning of life is to live for God, seeking His will first, and to use my God-given talents to the fullest, rather than bury them. In the parable, the last servant – who had been given only one talent – buried his talent so it wouldn’t be lost. This servant was reprimanded and the talent was taken away.

I’d love to hear from you: What do you think the meaning of life is?


4 comments:

  1. What I missed, with my father being a rabbi. But it's not too late. Serving God in our own inimitable way. Now to reflect more on your story about the talents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe we have a series of lives or incarnations - not just the one, and a life is part of our overall spiritual development. I think we have a life purpose, but that purpose unfolds a bit at a time and we just see the next few steps

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the meaning of our lives? The million dollar question.
    WE al have our gifts, weaknesses, and fears.
    Legalism can or is a stumbling block. That was befor the Cross . This side of the Cross, we are saved by Grace thru Faith.

    We all want to be good people, but being good alone will not get you to Heaven.It is not ours thru our works.
    We need to find our meaning thru the use of our talents and gifts
    as we are lead by God.

    Unfortunately there are no do overs, but plenty of regret.Again that is contrary to what Jesus taught us. When we are redeemed God does not keep tally of our past sins. They have been forgiven

    Like the parable when Jesus turned water to wine.They were going to put the olnew wine in old skins,they would have burst. Jesus is the new wine and we are the new skins.

    This life I believe is our one chance to find meaning and make it to heaven. No second chances no incarnations.
    Our meaning no matter what it is we do is to serve God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well a few years ago I read a book that proposed that the meaning of life is to "Worship God." Simple and as complicated as that. And within that there are MANY facets! Why are we here??? To get to God so we can spend eternity with Him!

    ReplyDelete

The catchpa has been removed to enable easier commenting. Spam and irrelevant comments will be deleted.