Saturday, April 6, 2013

F: Freedom




It’s a free country. So, what does it mean to be free? Coming of age in the FOC, I felt anything but free. I was desperate for the freedom to make friends, to date, to go after my dreams. But making friends (outside the group) was forbidden, as was dating. Dreams? Why would I have any dreams? My future was settled: I was a female and would only be a housewife (if I was fortunate enough find a husband to rule over me).

So, my definition of freedom was the liberty to do as I pleased. And for years, that definition continued. When I left the FOC in 1994, I was relieved. I called every worldly person I had ever wanted to befriend and made plans to finally have a social life. It was a fantastic feeling.

In February 2000, I made a commitment and a decision to follow Jesus. I became a born-again Christian. And, my experience with freedom drastically changed. I didn’t know how things would change. I didn’t have a lot of faith in how much God could change my heart and my behaviors. I was in for many surprises.

But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
Romans 6:22

I have written about the assurance of salvation here on this blog in the past and gotten a lot of pushback from readers. How can someone know they are saved? How can the bible assure us that once we are saved, we are forever saved?

I once heard a preacher discussing the topic of turning your back on God. Can a person lose their salvation if they do that? I do not know the answer. I only know that once we are free from sin (by accepting the gift of salvation), we become slaves to God.

Do all Christians act that way? Ha! Nope. We are still human. But, in my experience, bondage to a holy God looks more like this: when I sin, I am miserable. When I obey, I have peace. The bondage I have happily accepted is the Holy Spirit’s nudging, nagging, sometimes shouting into my life.

So, now I am free from unbiblical restrictions of the FOC, and I am free FROM sin. I am a never free from God; I would never want to be.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Galations 5:1

* * * * *

Dear Readers,

What does freedom mean to you? I would love it if you left a comment below...


4 comments:

  1. Freedom is something I'm struggling with right now. The freedom to do what I want, when I want, without wrecking what I already have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freedom in Christ.....
    Often I find people especially non believers,
    feel they have to do all these things obey all these rules
    to become a Christian. Quite the the contrary. The freedom lies in accepting Christ and allow him to do the work in you.
    Conviction is not always comfortable,the Lords nudging us to .consider our thoughts and actions.The freedom grows as we listen.Oh yes we will be tempted that is Satans job.But the FREEDOM and confidence to come befor God knowing he only wants the best for us is truly amazing.
    In time we don't want what we use to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freedom is so relevant at this time in my life: Freedom from an abusive, narcissistic ex boyfriend that I spent almost 2 years with; the freedom to now rebuild my life and discover who I really am; freedom from the old mental beliefs I had been conditioned to believe as truth, when they were all lies; freedom to truly live, love, have friends and gratitude; freedom to plan my time around what I want, not what others want for me. We are all discovering the light within ourselves--a light that glows brighter in the darkness of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The freedom Jesus gives from bondage of the past is so amazing. The fact that in the process, I then become His slave is no loss at all. I'd so much rather be a slave to the One Who loves me more than anyone else ever could than to be "free" and running my life my own way.

    ReplyDelete

The catchpa has been removed to enable easier commenting. Spam and irrelevant comments will be deleted.